7.24.2003

I have a great responsibilty, like one i have not had before.

My dance instructor asked me to sew strings of beads onto the bottom of what will be her costume for her next performance.

"Here, I was given this jewel- and bead-encrusted belt by a friend in Cairo. It was hand-made in Dubai. Would you sew loops of beads between these crescents here and here and here? I have it envisioned, just don't have time to do it..."

Oh yeah, no pressure.

"Please don't hate me if I tear it all off when you're done."

Well I've put in five hours so far, and I'm a third of the way done. The best part is, even if she doesn't appreciate it (but S says I am being hyper-critical, said nobody will even see the strings of beads because her ass never stops moving when she dances), I am guaranteed about five private lessons in exchange. Oh yes.

The belt she has me working on is amazing. It's about six inches wide, and completely embroidered with beads of all shapes and sizes, including some big faceted crystals that look like they were stolen from an old chandelier. It's red and gold, with layers upon layers of beadwork in an Arabic paisley pattern. It weighs a frickin ton.

I'm actually flattered that she entrusted me with the thing, which is probably worth more than my car, and with the project, which is a daunting task but means she thinks I'm capable. Feeling inspired, for sure.

I have been very careful to not drink wine around it, although it probably wouldn't be the first time red wine was spilled on a beaded bellydancing belt.