7.22.2003

HOT
Calling from hell tonight, the line crackles with static and electricity. "Hello, God? Where did those clouds come from? Enough of the humidity, thanks much. Please, no clouds." It is the humidity. Sweaty and sticky. Uck.

When it's cloudy, when lightning arcs in the mountains, that's when the big forest fires start. Fires travel fastest over cleared ground, up hill. Heat rises.

Ants move faster when it's hot, and so do people. Hurry scurry, I just want to find a quiet cool corner and wait it out. Some woman ran over a kid on a go-kart, dragged him and his kart 80 (eighty!) feet with his mom running behind the car, screaming the whole time. Finally the woman stopped, the mom grabbed her kid, who is amazingly still alive but in critical condition, from under the car. The two women made eye contact, then the driver backed up off the kart and drove away.

It's too hot. People lose their minds when it's too hot.

It was too humid to sleep, even with the little window air conditioner running in our room. Felt like it was just blowing the air around.

Spiders were prowling the ceilings and walls. I naturally selected against some of them-- some arachnids really offend me, while others I will catch with my bare hands and carry outside. I like jumping spiders, and crab spiders, and the big orb weavers. Can't stand the yellow nasty wandering sac spiders who make little hammocks in the corner between the wall and the ceiling, and the big ugly black things are destined for spider inferno when I find them. Give me the heebie-jeebies.

My nerves are frayed from the heat. I opened up the house about 4 in the morning and slept on the couch, cool air from outside circulating, finally, and thank goodness the big industrial plant that makes railroad ties wasn't pumping stinky creosote fumes into the air last night. I would have cried.

The valley is like a sauna. People are crazy. I'm crazy. I'm ready to move back to the high arid hills and the cool breezy hollows, learn to play a banjo, lose some teeth, make moonshine, catch lightning bugs and keep them in a mason jar by my bed, which will be nice and cool...