7.03.2003

Practice makes perfect, so they say.
I think much of what we do in our everyday life is practice. Practice for? ...For getting in and out of situations we haven't encountered before, for learning.
Learning is good. Sometimes it's painful, embarrassing, boring, tedious, and sometimes it's exciting.

My legs are very tired.
Spent much time practicing Middle Eastern dance last night.

When I practice at home alone, often as a warm up I'll work on one move until I can do it without thinking about it. These drills are a good way to train my body how to move and remember the motion. When I actually begin dancing, I try to avoid doing drill movements like in aerobics or jazzercise.

Music moves the soul, and the soul moves the body. Practice is essential to perfect the technique of motion, which includes muscle isolation, rhythm, balance, and travel patterns on the floor, but there are other things to practice, too.

What happens when you get your veil caught on your head, or on your costume, or under your foot? What do you do when you realize a delectable phrase of music is coming, for which you've picked a particularly stunning move, and you are on the wrong side of the floor and can't possibly get to where you want to be without leaping like a fool? What happens if you lose your balance just a bit? What do you do if your little bejeweled costume pops open while you're doing a shoulder shimmy? Wheeeeee!

All these things have happened, and when I first started dancing, I would often stop, disentangle or readjust myself, and start over without ever addressing the problem.

Life is not so easy, and there's no "pause" button, certainly no "repeat" button.

Now I keep going when something unforseen happens, and I find out what I can do to recover. Often it is a lesson in patience, and sometimes it ends badly, but most often I am able to correct an error and continue. I have learned that safety pins are one of the best inventions on earth, and when in doubt, spin.

I'm beginning to apply this sort of mentality to my interactions with other people, and to the world in general.

I'm older and better, and wiser, and less apt to blow my top.
Don't ever stop moving.
Practice makes perfect.