5.31.2003


Some girlfriends are coming over tomorrow night to choreograph a dance routine. R & I are the same height & look like sisters, J is very tall with dark hair & long body. I think the three of us could do a spectacular choreo playing with the height & shape differrences. We shall see.

There is this one piece of Turkish music I love, but the tempo changes so frequently and the song is ten minutes long I just don't think we could do it. We could, but it would take a year to choreograph. However, there is another, shorter, less dramatic song I know we could combine lots of interesting moves. It's an Egyptian cd I bought from my dance instructor, who imports and sells good music. She's very picky about the quality of music, and I agree-- there's nothing worse than having to listen to crap synthesized shit 200 times while you're learning what moves to do in each measure of the song. But this Egyptian cd, which I bought before September 11, 2001, can no longer be imported into the USA. There are quite a few recordings that are still being published, you just can't bring them into this country.

I want to make up a sweet little choreo for this oh so subversive music.

I have been practicing this one rather complicated move. It's called a resistance move, because the isolations of muscles create the effect that you're floating. You start by rotating your rib cage vertically, like you are drawing a circle on the wall with your sternum. With that going, you use this standard undulating kind of walk to the side, feet crossing over eachother, crabwise and opposite the way your rib cage is going. Very cool effect, not easy to pull off. Practice makes perfect.