5.20.2003


Doobs has prompted me to blab a bit about life. In the previous comment box she said it sounds like I am enjoying my life, and asked if I would change it for anything.
That's one of those curious questions...

Like asking a little kid what they want to be when they grow up.
When I was a little kid I never could answer that question. I don't know if I can do it now, either.

My husband's mom told me before I got married that it never bothered her how long S took to get his degree. He spent 10 years as an undergrad, did great in all his classes, changed his major four times. When he was five years old and she asked him what he wanted to be when he grew up, she told me he looked at her very seriously and said, "I want to learn everything."

Me, I haven't wanted anything but to be happy. Happiness for me is simple-- I am happy.
Gloria Steinem said happiness is a conscious decision, not an automatic response.

This is life, and it's hard. People die, people hurt, people get lost. But life is what you make it. My current situation does not really fit my idea of happiness, but I am determined to make the most of it. Ride it until the wheels fall off, as they say. I worry about family and friends. I have loved ones who are sick, who are dying. But you know, we're all here for such a short time, it is best to treasure the moments rather than be unhappy about them. Life is pain. Eat, drink, be merry, because tomorrow it could be all over.

Happy?

Maybe we all want something we don't have.