5.27.2003


Such a bittersweet weekend.
Friend Rob & his brother came Thursday, attended their great uncle's funeral on Friday, left on Saturday. They said it was nice to see us but I wished it had been for a vacation and not for a funeral.

Friend Sean is visiting now, he arrived Saturday. He is considering moving to Oregon. Works a soul-sucking data-crunching job and can't breathe in the place where he lives. And if he moved up here it would be without his wife a son.

Sean is an operatic tenor. He has the most beautiful voice. He gave up working with the big orchestra in SF because of the politics and the commute, and aside from his computer job teaches private voice lessons these days. He took us to the beach, which was a great treat. We haven't been to the beach in months. Sean sang the whole way there. It was delightful to go riding through the rainy forested coast range headed for the beach with him singing everything from tv show themes to church hymns to Italian opera.

I found out my Grandma is back in the hospital. My Mom was visiting her when I called, so I talked with my Dad. Grandma is 87 years old. When I talked to my Mom later in the evening she was crying. It's hard to hear my sweet Momma cry.

We had friends over last night. She has a wonderful voice, & he brought his guitar. They sang and played for us, we fed them venison and marionberry pie. I sent them home with about ten roses, some irises, and hugs.

Diamonds
Roses
I need Moses
To come cross this sea of loneliness
Part this red river of pain

Everywhere is somewhere and
Nowhere is near
Everybody's got somebody
With their wine and their beer

And I'm just a tragic figure
In this corner over here
Go back home to an empty apartment
With a best friend who is... queer.

Oh, diamonds
Roses
I need Moses
To cross this sea of loneliness
Part this red river of pain...