5.27.2003


The beach was so refreshing. We live less than an hour away, and S & I used to go every weekend. It's been hard to find time to do anything, between the business & work.

The water was like ice, and felt like fire at first, but then it seemed to take all the aches and pains in my whole body and suck it out through my toes. I stood with the water halfway between my knees and ankles, watched the waves, felt the pull of the water and sand. Little tiny brine shrimp went scurrying past my toes, it was hard to see them but when the sun came out I could see their shadows. I somehow managed to get my pants soaking wet, even though I was careful about the waves, so I made a nest for myself in the little grassy cliffside out of the wind. Dogs came and found safe warm places near me, and in a short while, S found me & curled up next to me, put his head on my shoulder.

The salty air and warm sun made for good napping. His hair smelled like beach and felt soft on my cheek. It was heavenly to relax all curled up with S, legs and arms entwined. He is a wonderful man.
He had been hunting, and found some agates, some driftwood, and some petrified wood.

The sand was loose and fine and the sun was out, not too windy. I love the beach. The sound of the waves, the solitude, the pebbles, the tide, the sea birds, the sand. The constant inconstancy of the place.