11.04.2003

Some days call into question all motives and desires and wants and needs.

What does the future hold?
I don’t know. All I know is I hope to experience all I am designed to experience, I hope the future doesn’t chew me up and spit me back out, I hope I am brave enough to always love life.

At work I read a letter today from a woman whose husband has been taking care of her daily for 32 years. She has been in and out of hospitals all her life, has suffered heart attack and cancer and stroke and diabetes and nerve damage and lives with enough medicine to fill a suitcase, along with an oxygen tank and a catheter, and wrote that she knows she is going to die soon.

Her concern is the debt she’s leaving for her man, who is getting towards retirement age and she worries he’ll have spent his whole life on her with nothing to show for it.
I felt like writing back to her, although it’s not part of my duties and it may even be discouraged, that she is honorable and gracious, and I can tell from the joy with which she writes that he loves her and she knows he loves her. He vowed to take care of her, in sickness and in health, and he has more than kept his oath.

When I say I believe there is someone for everyone, I mean there is someone who will give you everything he or she can, someone who is happy living and loving you today, and tomorrow, and the next day. You know; eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we may all die. This doesn’t mean shirking duties or ignoring the sense of preparing for the future. But once upon a time the biggest worry was how do we get through the winter? Do we have enough wood, enough food, enough of a shelter? Our lives have been altered by amenities, by material things we don’t need for either survival or for memory’s sake.

People tend to forget the important things. My aunt, who may be one of the kindest people in the world, has tacked to her fridge a small hand-printed sign which reads, “People before things.”

It’s important to remember who loves you.
Joe talked about giving thanks a few posts back.
James wrote about remembering loved ones today, right now.

And I believe the husband who took care of his invalid wife for 32 years will have rewards much greater than money in the bank.