10.31.2003

Okay what is the big deal with “Wealthiest Dead Celebs!” I see it in headlines and it’s annoying as ants in the kitchen.

Is this really an interesting topic? Why is this even news? Is it because this is Halloween? And tomorrow is All Soul’s, or Day of the Dead?
It pertains to the living in… what way?
It’s like we’ve build tombs and monuments out of bank accounts for these “Dead Celebs” and now pay our homage. It makes me grumpy.

Anyway.

This Halloween JJ & Tebone, S & I are going, after carving pumpkins and roasting seeds, to Cosmic Pizza for a benefit show with my friend & my Middle Eastern dance instructor, with her band. The benefit performance is for a Bill of Right protection group. It sounds like fun and I’ll even get dressed up for it, powdered face, slicked hair, red red lips and vampire fangs that S bought for me today.

Best of all is the so sassy skirt (which must be pronounced “ssso sssassy ssskirt”) I’ve been dying to wear for months now; it’s black and shiny and stretchy, fits low on my hips, tight around my thighs, and then flares out from the knees to the ground. If it were green I could be a mermaid, it’s that kind of skirt.

I thanked S for finding me some fangs; last night we went to Freddie’s for food and supplies, and the Halloween stuff was being packed up already. The five aisles it all occupied just last week had already been taken over by Christmas crap, you know what I mean, tinsel and lights and knick-knack bric-a-brac sparklies and geegaws, stupid Santas and reindeer and not one plaster baby in a manger to be found but I guess that kind of stuff doesn’t sell anymore, the notion of Christ isn’t very marketable...

But where, I wanted to know, were the vampire fangs?
I am not ready for Christmas stuff in the aisles. I am sure not ready for the Christmas country-western-duets gag-me music playing on the store PA system. I am not ready for cards or presents or food. If ever there was a time to say Bah, HUMBUG! It is the day before Halloween.

I wanted my vampire fangs, and the closest Freddy’s could come were those nasty wax lips with fangs, the kind advertised as “wax gum” and really it’s just wax laced with sugar and a perfumey smell. I got them because I figured there was nothing else.
But S bought me some of the plastic fit-over-your-teeth vampire fangs today. He gets gold stars on his forehead. Or maybe a vampire bite…

I don’t know what he’s planning to wear. He has changed his mind many times, and he bought a red fez with a black tassel. I asked what else would he wear and he said he didn’t know. I told him that being a streaker in a fez might get him arrested, or mistaken for a Shriner, both of which made him grimace. He just called me and said he found ten dollars in a pocket and was headed out to the Goodwill. I guess the fez is out of favor. I'm curious to see what he wears.

Tonight will be... interesting.
Have fun.