10.24.2003

I received the following in an email. Guess it’s supposed to be funny, but given my beliefs and the studying I’ve done, I find it petty and narrow-minded. I don’t know who wrote it, but I have seen it a few times. It doesn’t make me mad, but I do shake my head at the extent of shallow wit.

Dear Dr. Laura,

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them. Here goes....

1. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for The Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev. 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but many women take offense.

4. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself or will you arrange it for me?

6. Another friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

7. Leviticus 21:20 clearly states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Leviticus 19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Leviticus 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Leviticus 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them (Lev. 24:10-16)? Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws (Lev. 20:14)?

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's Word is eternal and unchanging.




Most of the issues involve Leviticus, which is in the Old Testament, written some 4000 years ago. The name is Latin, and translates to “things of the Levites,” and it is a handbook for priests. Jewish priests. The last I heard, making fun of Jews (who still consider the Book of Leviticus to be serious rules for ceremonial death, even if the ceremonies remain unpracticed) wasn't, er, kosher.

On a strictly historical note, taking the Book of Leviticus and making fun of it is like taking the Tibeten Book of the Dead, or cave drawings, and making fun of them. Stupid homo sapiens, ha ha. We've evolved so much.


The letter fails to mention how Leviticus was written at least 2000 years before the birth of Jesus Christ, who taught yes, these things are important to remember, but He said there is a better way, through peace and love. Interestingly enough, the Levite Jews are of the same bent as those who clamored for Christ's crucifixion. This raises... strange... parallels. So let's be cynical and modern and take Christianity on its own merits, as we look at Buddhism and turn a blind eye to the caste system still intact in India, shall we?

The letter addresses the notion of fundamentalists who say God hasn't changed, which is a valid complaint against organized religion. The world has changed, and God has changed, and our interpretation of God has changed. It's not a static system. Hegel's complaint with organized religion was that it is a "pillow for intellectual sloth," but the same can be said for irreligion. This letter takes the most fanatical and shallow interpretation of the Biblical text and then makes sarcastic remarks about it. Yes, in Leviticus homosexuality is considered an abomination in the eyes of God, but do you know what else is considered in the same terms? Lying. Does this mean the fiery pit of hell for those who lie? Don't we all lie? The God I believe in is bigger than that, and Jesus has absolved us all of our sins. The key, according to the New Testament, is simply to love one another (which includes not judging one another's private lives), and believe Christ is the son of God.

From a purely historical point of view the Bible is the story of civilization, and for good or for bad it has shaped the society in which we live. I don't see that whoever wrote the letter managed to get past Leviticus in the Old Testament, which is understandable because it's weighty. Those who haven't read it because they think they know what it says are, in the simplest term, ignorant. To dismiss the Bible out of hand, especially without reading all of it, and taking it as a whole... what sort of Philistinism is that? And would we even have a notion of what a Philistine was without the reference in the Bible?

If the argument shall be whether or not God exists and whether the Bible is written by those directed by Him, then it comes down to faith. If the objection to believing in God is all the terrible things done in his name, then let's take a look at all the atrocities committed in the name of science. Neither religion nor science offers an absolutely certain answer to why we exist, but one at least does offer a sense of morality. To assume those who believe in Christ never question their beliefs is wrong. But until there is something more satisfying than science upon which I might rest my soul, I'll stick with the principles found within the teachings of Christ: love one another, seek justice, walk humbly, have mercy.

What does it harm anyone when 200 years from now a tree has sent its roots into the box encasing my remains for me to have believed Jesus is God? I'm not trying to convert anyone, not trying to demand anyone believe the same as I do, because faith is a personal thing. It tries to answer the ages-old question of what happens when we die. I came like water, and like wind I go. I think I know where I will go, but that's called faith. And that's something we all have to find for ourselves.

In the mean time, let's not make dull-witted jokes about a 4000 year old handbook of ceremonial rules for priests.