9.26.2003

Went last night to the roughest little bar in Eugene to hear punk rockabilly. S refused to park in the lot because that's where people have brawls and fights. I thought he was being melodramatic but he said nearly every night some altercation occurs and better safe than sorry.

It's a small bar; big mirrors behind the bar, big windows on the other side of the room. Clean and spare and I am sure that prior to the no smoking ordinance you could have said never mind to cutting smoke with a knife, you would have needed a shovel. The ceiling was rather brown.

It was by far the most punk show I've ever seen. Songs about got no money and fuck the job. I sat between S & the lovely long-limbed JJ and at one point while admiring her tall black boots I ended up with her leg across my lap and that was just fine. S bought me a beer and said the music made him happy and he wanted to throw his beer glass in the spirit of the show.

Friend Tebone played some righteous bass for the trio, and Mr. Tall sang & played his no-nonsense guitar. We heard "Cell Phone" and "Nicotine Queen" and while he was paying homage to the Pabst neon sign behind him with "PBR vacation" some cops broke up a knife fight out in the parking lot. The cop car's spotlight made crazy shadows all over Tebone's face through the big windows and the flashing lights reflected like a colorful mirror ball on the ceiling while the drunk hairy hippy danced a jig in his well-worn sandals and the biker in the back by the video poker games nodded with the bass, and the large drunk Native American woman made her ferret skin with beads for eyes dance to the music.

I never thought I'd enjoy hanging out in bars but it's hard to beat for good live music & watching drunk people. Go figure.



Tonight S & I are headed east of the Cascades for the weekend, to the Deschutes River, up in the wild high pines. I am looking forward to eating fresh trout & drinking whiskey from tin cups while sitting by the big fire. Can't wait to smell like woodsmoke.

We'll lie on our backs on the riverbank late at night and look at the million stars, so close and so bright since it's the new moon I'll think I can reach out and touch them. See them reflected in the water and hear the sound of the river down deep.