9.18.2003

The nightmare I had last night has manifested itself on my face.

I dreamt my right eye was swollen shut, nasty and puffy and weepy and very infected-looking.

It seems during the night my left eyelid was bit by a mosquito... probably the same mosquito I waged war against in the shower. I sent volleys of soapy water and blasts from the shower head at it but to no avail, and I begrudgingly admit it won the battle.

There's no weepy nastiness, and the swelling has gone down and I have no trouble opening my eye but I (and everyone else) can see the bite and it itches terribly despite the antihistamine I took.

I understand there is a natural balance between all things, humans, viruses, mosquitos and what-not, but I very much wish the miniscule vampire had chosen something other than my eyelid from which to inject its itch-solution and drink my blood. If there were no mosquitos and no viruses then soon there would be no humans, I understand this very well. But I wish flying hypodermic needles would cease to exist. Especially in my house.

"What happened to your eyelid?" or, "Bug bite you?" becomes and open door for shared stories of the Worst Bites Ever.

I think Estella takes the cake for that one; she once was bit by a tarantula in her sleep. But at least it didn't bite her on the eyelid...