9.23.2003

The equinox is today. Day and night are the same length long; from here until the solstice the days will become shorter and the nights longer.

My better half returned from that long state to the south in a car filled with treasures from my Grandma's condo. He had gone to help my Mom sort through many boxes. He was tickled by Mom's comment about how the Dutch reform church's mission was to fill the world with hand-made items, no matter how frivolous or useless.

He brought me a bag of skirt aprons to make June Cleaver jealous, every color of the rainbow, made from cotton, lace, corduroy, gauzy crepe, muslin, linen, gingham, taffeta. There was one made of fragile pink lace, adorned with a small pocket and three emroidered hearts and when I tried it on I asked if it was the equivalent of lingerie. He said if he got home and I was wearing it and some pearls and heels and perfume while I cooked a meat loaf he'd figure he'd be having a wild night.

There were pearls, and bracelets, and rings and about 200 pieces of costume jewelry from between the 1930s to the 1970s. He showed me a pair of eyeglasses that had been my great-grandpa's, barely worn, round owlish banker's glasses with gold earpieces, very 1920s. He also showed me a pair of ivory earrings, ivory carved like roses, and I found it interesting because my Grandma never had pierced ears so it must have been a gift from someone who didn't know her very well.

And the books and stamp collection and box full of ladies' gloves (some too small for anyone's hands but elegant just the same)...

I sometimes worry I might forget Grandma. It's interesting how tangible things can make the intangible seem closer.