8.04.2003

Yausi is four and just the most adorable spitfire imaginable. Can I please bottle up some of that energy for use on a rainy day? We had JJ and Tebone come play at the coffeehouse on Saturday night & Yausi loves to dance with me.

We talked about how to tell when a song is sad, because JJ sings some sad songs, and how we don't dance like monkeys during sad songs. Her eyes got very big. We learned how to tap our toes to the rhythm rather jump around, and how to clap in time with the down beat. Her big brown eyes sparkled.

Mostly she likes me to hang on to one of her hands while she spins in a circle like a dervish. She likes it when I do spins with her, too, picking her up, swinging her big-band style over my back, catching her, swinging her legs from the left out straight behind her, then to the right. She likes it when I act like a monkey and hold her upside-down and examine her toes.

She's quite exuberant about dancing. I love dancing with little kids. Maybe I should rephrase that: I love dancing and I can always get little kids to dance with me. I like to see what I can get them to do; teach them without them knowing they're being taught.