7.29.2003

This morning on the way to work I saw a big black crow alight on a car that was waiting at a stoplight. The man inside was totally oblivious of the carrion bird, and I shuddered, thinking, "I would not want to be that guy."

Superstitions are interesting-- if I spill salt I'll feel the silly hair on the back of my neck rise, but as soon as I pinch some and toss it over my left shoulder, everything is right with the world again. In my kitchen I have this old horse shoe hanging above the door, angled perfectly so the luck doesn't run out.

If a black cat crosses my path, or some stranger gives me a dirty look, I make this ridiculous small gesture with my hand, palm out, dispelling evil.

I won't talk about an unlikely thing I'm hoping will occur, in case I jinx chance. Wherever I go, I plant rosemary near the doors to ward off witches. I worry about breaking mirrors.

The worst part is, I know I'm a weirdo about it. I roll my eyes at myself and laugh oh ha ha ha, so silly, stupid-stitions, but there's still that little tingle at the nape of my neck.

Such a curious thing, born of coincidences and ancient traditions. I don't really believe any of that stuff, not really. But I still wouldn't want a big black crow landing on the roof of my car.