5.02.2003

Children love the dance.
They like the noisy coins and chains, the finger cymbals (or zils), the long full skirts, the energy. Most children under 10 don't have fucked up notions about sexuality, and aren't afraid to stare, completely rapt, fascinated, and trying to absorb every detail and motion. They want to do it too, the spins, the clapping, the hip-shifts, the sassy walks.

Middle Eastern dance, or belly dance, or dans orientale, or raqs sharqi or whatever you want to call it is very sensual, but it is also very empowering. I've been in performances when the audience won't watch because they're embarrassed. I've seen grown men shyly avert their eyes from a beautiful dancer and I know why, but it baffles and amazes me. It's also infuriating; I feel like kicking their chairs and growling, "She's not flirting with you, she's not doing a strip tease, she's not doing anything but dancing, you idiot." Bah.

Last night in the coffeehouse (which was packed) was great. My favorite moment was at the end, after everyone had danced, most of the crowd left (I threatened to beat them if they didn't get up there & dance-- couldn't believe I said it but I guess it was a leftover of adrenaline from my performance. Anyway most of the people I didn't know left the building...oops), R & I were dancing on the rug. We have the same color & length hair, we're the same height, and we both had big circle skirts on, hers red and mine a dark purple. We were spinning with the edges of our skirts touching. I remember thinking, "I could do this forever." S said it was beautiful and dramatic.

The Greek word "dromos" is the root for "dramatic" and means "to spin." I like that.