4.28.2003

I say m'aidez, you say May Day...

We had a very cool flamenco dance and music troupe coming to perform at the coffeehouse for the first of May. Last night the dancer called & explained one of the guitarists had broken off with the band and was leaving town, and sincerest apologies but can we please reschedule? I was happy I hadn't had lots of fliers posted, glad I hadn't sent press releases for a big show to the calendar of events in the paper.

I commiserated on the weirdness & temperament of musicians, especially in Eugene (it seems there is something in the water to make people into self-important belly-button gazers who know only the "me-me-me-me!!!!" refrain from "doe, a deer, a female deer, ray, a drop of golden sun...").

So after promising eachother that we would try to reschedule a flamenco performance for June, and that there were no hard feelings, and hanging up, I called all my bellydancing friends to schedule an impromptu bellydance party in place of the flamenco. I will do a good strong gypsy beledi, lots of coins and bells but not too long. I think H will come and dance. R is a fantastic veil dancer, and promised she would come perform, and will contact her beginning students to invite them to come & play. Most importantly, it will be fun.

It's May Day, besides.