5.01.2003

I love my job. I envy people who can work out of their homes, but then they never get memos from the boss like this in their inbox:

"Rumor has it that there may be sunshine this afternoon and since this is the last chance to enjoy April sunshine I think you should take two hours sun-holiday this afternoon."

I went & ate a hot dog made by S's Iranian friend who uses our coffeehouse kitchen for cleaning utensils for his hot dog cart. I sat on the steps and enjoyed the sunshine, birds singing, sound of traffic on Hwy 99, listened to S & B talking about liberty and God and International Workers' Day. After B and the cackling women writers' group left the place S & I were alone, and feeling delightful and quite amorous we...

made origami boxes and swans, which soon evolved into paper airplanes of great imagination. We flew them off the porch into traffic. We had great air battles over the counter. We laughed until our side hurts, closed ten minutes early, bought a bottle of wine, went home and had artichokes from our garden with some lamb-burgers. A good day.