3.10.2004

Sky high wide and blue above and chilly air punctuated by the sweet scent and confetti of spent cherry blossoms. The river rolls like green bottle glass and the riverbank grass grows knee-high in three days.

Some hearts recover faster than others and spring makes salve for wounds. She spoke so flippantly today I checked myself with a scold and thought maybe she didn't think. Or maybe she's just a river that changed its course, unapologetic and unhesitating, a whole ecosystem in the shape of an oxbow left to dry and become something else.

I would die if my love did to me what she has done. I would walk down the riverbank and float away.

But the sky is blue, I hear birds singing, bums sit bare-chested in the fresh-mown grass happy to have survived the winter, and two years ago it snowed on this day but for now we have sun. I ate an orange with a cup of green tea and somewhere found an uncomplicated smile.