3.08.2004

Of things past, passed, a moment of memory lost like a teardrop in the ocean.

This weekend the world buckled and churned and twisted and the foundation fell away from the dreams of a couple I love very much, a couple who have been together as far back as I can remember, a couple who built an ideal and a dream and had babies and raised strong happy boys.

The pain I feel for them feels like someone squeezing my heart. It reeks of abandonment and it feels like betrayal. It's like the center eroded and left just the brittle shell in pieces, something washed onto the beach that once was beautiful.

At first I wanted so desperately to know why, and the why is that for one of them the love dissipated and dried up and became insignificant and forgotten.

Their eyes so full of pain to look, unmatching, at one another unable to read the shadows of the words of the soul inside. The book slowly closed and is covered with dust.

The words he breathes have her in them. He said "we" all day yesterday, and I know he can't grasp the notion that she is gone.

It's not cruelty or sorrow, just the splintering apart, and a matter of letting the energy go.

She forgot his heart. Her dreams changed and she forgot to tell him. The fault lies in the forgetting. I can not make excuse for her but neither can I judge her. I only hope the pain for him ends soon, and does not turn to bitterness.