2.26.2004

The wind blew it all over last night. All of it. We've been having these little mini-hurricanes howling through, blustering around, swirling and twisting and then receding again to tranquility. Can't complain too much but it seems like a terrible precursor to the notorious lion of March fast approaching.

Yesterday after work I bought a cheap bottle of red wine with the remaining $5 in my wallet. Yeah, cheap. But thanks to globalization and the current trend of francopathy, wine from some of France's best and oldest vinyards can be acquired at the ratty old corner market for $3.79 (marked down from $12.99, yeah baby) and there is no sales tax in this state. I flicked the penny in the empty parking lot and it fell clattering amongst the raindrops spattering hard on the black buckled pavement. The rain gurgled in the gutter and I blinked while the cold raindrops fell dappling my cheeks.

The sky turned an angry purple and the last of the sun setting over the mountains contrasted with brilliant pinks and yellows and oranges, which faded to the color of wine, and then the purple absorbed it all and smothered the last of the light.

I've been feeling like I need to remember something all week. It's a frustrating thing because I usually have no problem directing or focusing my thoughts. They go where I want unless I turn them loose and that's when I get the most done although it's generally disorganized. Hooray for chaos. If I just turned around fast enough it's possible I could see the nagging little thought at the back of my mind.