3.05.2004

I've had a stiff neck for three days now; think it's due to a combination of stress and practicing with a big heavy veil in preparation for Saturday night. It's a beautiful veil, bright white silver fading in gradations to indigo and black, and it's four yards of material. The trick with veil-work is to keep the fabric flowing and in motion constantly while acting as though it were easy. It's a wonderful prop, and provides an audience with something other than an exposed belly to watch.

The best veil-work is fluid and beautiful and heart-stirring, but it takes practice. Get a dry full-length bath towel and hold it up above your head and behind you like you've ready to dry your back and you'll see why my shoulders are sore. I sort of went overboard with practicing the other evening.

Yesterday I had a massage, which was nice enough but her hands never really warmed up. They weren't clammy or cold, but they weren't like the last massage therapist I saw who nearly melted me with her hot healing hands. Yesterday's therapist did some strange things, too, like "wagging" my limp arms and "snapping" the ends of each of my fingernails, and she put her fingers in my ears and then pulled on my earlobes. I just wanted her to work on my neck.

I hope I can work the remaining stiffness out before Saturday night. This weekend finds me dancing.