10.16.2003

Last night…

I must look particularly touchable today because I’ve had four people here at work, all motherly types, pat my back, my arm, run their hand down my hair, and touch my shoulder. Even S, this morning when he brought me a cup of coffee as I brushed my hair, looked at me and patted my back with great care.

I’m tired but feel better than I did the past week.

Yesterday after work I joined forces with Jesi & R to complete another section of music for our choreography. The middle of the song has a tabla drum solo, and we figured out the timing and the appropriate moves. I’m pleased with it. Very pleased with it.

R was in high form yesterday, giddy and silly and precise as ever. She had spent the weekend in intensive study with a woman from Minnesota and said she was ready to move there, or maybe to Cairo, but mostly she’s just ready to move. Eugene is dragging her down. We had discussed it before, that she is approaching a point when she needs to put down roots, or move on. She’s a travel bug, been to Central and South America, also to Africa and Asia. She hasn’t ever been to the Middle East or to Europe, and I think that’s where she should go, rather than to Minnesota, although I know for some Minne-snow-ta is probably a veritable mecca.

Anyway I will be sad to see her go, but I know we’ll keep in touch, and she has these great big wings she needs to stretch. People to see, places to go. It will probably be next spring before she leaves, so I have a few more months to enjoy her camaraderie.

After swirling and shimmying with the two lovely girls I headed home, and S grilled garden burgers for dinner to go along with some Argentinian wine we bought for cheap. We had a wild night. D showed up on our front porch about ten o’clock; he had made arrangements with S to go to the coast today. We stayed up very late, which probably accounts for my tiredness. It was fun. I like laughing men.

I climbed in bed with S about midnight and awoke at 5, and discovered I had, during the night, somehow removed my pajama bottoms (it has been cold at night). I usually don’t take my clothes off while sleeping and I find no reason for such an occurrence; after some sleepy teasing S pleaded innocence. It was a strange way to awaken and set the tone for the rest of the day. We got up at 7 and S made coffee for me. And now everyone wants to give me a hug.

There are worse things.