10.15.2003

Halfway through teaching the beginning bellydancing class on Saturday morning, I realized the students all did their best to mimic me. It made me highly aware of my unintentional motions. I also had this incredible urge to pat my head and rub my tummy, or to jump around like a pogo stick, or maybe do some hair-tossing ala headbanger, just to see if they would all do the same, but I refrained from those impulses for a very long two hours.

It was fun. The best part about it? I could see them learning. It was a real treat and a huge ego boost in addition to the simple thrill of hearing that almost audible *click* that happens the body does what you ask it to do. After stretching and exercising for two hours on Saturday I felt wonderful.

Sunday was relaxing and overcast. I bought S three more fish for our fish tank, three blue and orange striped gouramis, and we watched fish-television all day long while doing mundane laundry and wood-chopping, sweeping and dusting. Friends M & M came for an early dinner; they had decided to exchange marriage vows and asked S to officiate the ceremony, just a small get-together of family and close friends in a few days. We talked about marriage and weddings and what they wanted S to say.

Monday was Columbus Day, although the radio show on NPR focused mostly on Magellan, not Columbus. It’s a silly holiday, and an odd thing to celebrate; Columbus didn’t discover the New World, but his discovery did mark the beginning of Spain’s terrible and brutal reign in the Americas. Anyway I was glad I didn’t have to work. S & I went for a bike ride. It was gray and overcast and it was the first really chilly day so far; we built a fire in the evening and had a nice dinner of reduced-for-quicksale buffalo steaks, spaghetti squash, mushrooms and salad greens. It was a nice evening and a quiet day. Lots of reading, lots of sewing for me. I've been building a dance costume (the process feels so long and tedious I can't bear to say I'm "sewing" a dance costume-- it has taken me about 20 hours to get halfway finished with the beaded fringe on the top. I haven't even started on the belt). It is a luxurious dark green velvet, and I'm using layers upon layers of dark metallic multi-colored beads to give it a dragon-esque appearance. It's a good winter project.


It disturbs me when I climb into bed feeling good and healthy and strong, and then awaken in the morning feeling like a cement truck had parked on me all night long. I went to work Tuesday feeling ill and shaky, and by ten I left for home, specifically for bed. It felt like a thunderstorm was going on inside my belly, all roily and twisty and rumbly. I hate that. S made me some catnip and raspberry tea and I slept all day.

Today it’s raining. I have dance practice with R & Jesi after work and right now I feel like climbing back under the covers.
Or at least be home in front of the fireplace, sewing dragon scales onto velvet, sipping wine and listening to my sweet man fiddle away quietly on his fiddle.