10.02.2003

I have committed myself to performing a solo on Saturday at the Middle Eastern Dance Guild’s annual show. It’s an all-day event, complete with vendors, dancers, instructors, etc. and I am hoping that, since I will be one of about 200 performers, I won’t be overly nervous. It has been a while since I’ve performed and it’s one of those things, the more you do it the easier it gets. I haven’t done it much. Haven’t a clue what song I’ll use or what I’ll wear (ummm, uh-oh…). I’m more excited about it than nervous at this point, but it will probably be the biggest audience I’ve had to entertain. Last night I had a small audience; D had spent the day with S, stayed for dinner, and spent the night in the second bedroom. D is young, and looks up to S, who has sort of adopted D in many ways. Last night after dinner I had them both watching as I practiced, among other things, the choreography that Jesi, R & I have been creating.

About watching belly dancers-- and I explained this to D last night because he’s young and I’m married to S so he wants to be respectful by not watching me— it is not only acceptable, but also expected, that the audience watches. It is a necessary element of dancing, and it is the thing that makes me so nervous about performing. When people in the audience don’t know where to look it can be frustrating, and also it changes and detracts the energy. People often try to avoid looking at bare-belly flesh. But that’s what the costume is for; all those swingy tassels and jangley coins, strings of beads and pearls and lush full skirts made out of velvet and satin and silk, oh my, and the feet flashing beneath the skirt with kicks and poses, the rings on fingers and bracelets and bells around the ankles, it is to make music, yes, but it is also for those watching the dance. WATCH. It’s a good thing.

I have been to belly-dance performances where audience members behave like the dancer will at any time begin removing her clothes, and it does carry that whole bordello stigma about it, but it is also a fine art, and takes as many years of study as any other form of dancing. Dancing in any form is the embodiment of music, and as such it is an art similar to learning how to play a musical instrument. The music is reflected in artistic impression, and the better the dancer, the more artistic, articulate, finer, stronger, softer, more graceful and more accurate are the motions used to exhibit the music. Yes, dance is sensual, and that too is a key part of performing, but in my opinion the best performers balance sensuality with artistry, and err on the side of art. There is nothing more breathtaking than a beautiful, accomplished dancer articulating the beats of a drum with just her hips while the rest of her body seems to float around, separate, stunning in its stillness. And it is expected that you watch.