9.04.2003

The phone rang last night and it was my girl JJ with her sweet Texas drawl, "I left something very small and important over at your house, I don't know if you noticed it, it's this little black wine bottle thing..."

"Oh yes, I have it right here. I didn't know how it got in my kitchen drawer."

"We brought it over when we came to that party ya'll had and I forgot about it. Anyway can I come get it? I like wine but only drink a glass a night, and so I have three open bottle that have all gone flat and Tebone said I can't buy anymore wine unless I drink it all."

She arrived with her tall dark lovely self and had a glass of wine with us. We gossipped as we sipped and laughed about friends and relationships. I always get the feeling that JJ is insecure about Tebone. He is older than she, and is a bit wilder. She told me how before they started dating, he encouraged her to acquire "fuck buddies" who I guess are people you don't have any obligations to, you just fuck. "He doesn't have them anymore," she said.

I guess one of their friends has the hots for Tebone but JJ knows he isn't attracted to her at all, so she doesn't worry about it. But she does sing that "women be wise" song, and I have felt her sizing me up on occassion.

I think she worries about his possible infidelities, and I found myself slightly uncomfortable because she told me, not once or twice or thrice, but four times throughout the night that Tebone finds me attractive, "gorgeous" was her word, which elicited an eye-rolling from me and I think half of his attraction to me is because I flirt with his woman. I guess he really liked it when at their party I two-stepped with JJ; she said he told her it was even better than Salma Hayek and Ashley Judd doing the tango in that Frida movie and boyo Tebone was drunk that night. But it bothered me because it almost felt like she were feeling me out, trying to find out if that the attraction is mutual and she needs to worry about me.

I told her very truthfully I would be much more inclined to make a move on her than on him and she laughed and said, "Yeah I told him that too and he didn't believe me!" But the real truth is, I am married to a wonderful man, and wouldn't dream of harming our relationship for physical gratuity with another person.

And I worry about JJ singing that "women be wise" song because there is a flip-side to it; it says, "don't advertise what your man do for you." It seems like lately she has taken that to mean she should talk trash about her man, telling others how lecherous and lascivious he used to be, and I worry if she keeps it up then one day it's all she'll think about him, and not how he writes songs and plays his guitar for her or kisses her eyelids when she's asleep or cooks dinner for her every night or any other number of things that add to her love for him. And her continued insecurity doesn't help matters; it's a short step from insecurity to accusations and I hope she notices the line. Once it's crossed there is no more trust, and without trust the love will burn hot and fiery and then turn to ashes.

Women, be wise in more than one way...