9.02.2003

My knees have bruises on them from semi-drunken limbo (how low can you go? about 2 and a half feet; only the nine year old could best me at it) on Friday night, our farewell party at the coffeehouse. Everything had been removed; it was big and empty and full of good friends.

That was Friday night; we worked all day Saturday, then partied a lot harder than we ever did last summer at friends Tebone and JJ's big empty house; they had spent the day moving, too. It was a great time; five guitarists, four singers, a fiddle, tabla drum, and a big plastic bucket. We shook the foundation of the big old house. They requested I dance twice; it was so much fun to play with live music! Tebone sang his "Come on out and dance" song, which lends itself to two-stepping, and the lovely tall dark JJ and I swirled around in front of happy eyes and clappy hands.

S played his fiesty Buffalo Gals song and also accompanied Tebone on "Kitty cat friends" which was a request of 4-year old Yausi. We had so much fun, got home about 2 o'clock and fell into bed.

We got everything moved by 3 on Sunday afternoon. I haven't been so exhausted in years. I'm so glad Ivory soap floats.

We had so much help from friends, especially D, who lived in the basement of the coffeehouse and who says he is now happily homeless.
I'm happily businessless so I think I understand.
He's young and wild and is the epitome of cowboy gypsy bicyclist. He's hopped trains and lived in trees and says he is taking his girlfriend and her dog and three donkeys and a yurt up into the woods for the winter. He came for dinner on Sunday night, left Monday morning after breakfast. We wished him happy trails.

Today I feel happy and like I've been through the ringer; I have a coffeehouse and a bookstore crammed into my garage, and bookshelves in every corner of my house. Quite a learning experience-- a crash-course in small business management. We met some wonderful friends, and made some truly incredible memories. And we have plenty of books to read this winter.