8.26.2003

Went to a Eugene Emerald's game last night. The Em's stadium was built in the 1930s by the WPA and it is such a cool old ballpark, situated just minutes from downtown Eugene, right there in the residential area. Neat old houses, narrow streets, big trees on the hillsides. We parked a few blocks away and walked, and a twinkly-eyed S said, "Oh boy," and, "Thank you for taking me to the ballgame," about a hundred times. A co-worker had given me tickets for great seats, right above the Em's dugout, three rows from the rail.

S bought us both hot dogs and beer, and we settled in for the duration of the game between the Em's and the Vancouver Canadians. It was a very well-played game. The last ballgame I had attended was in Oakland when I was in 7th grade and Mom and Dad took me to see the A's stomp some other team. I remember Jose Canseco and Mark McGwire at bat, and Dad bought me a poster with them both glaring, arms crossed. I think really he wanted the poster but it went up in my room. During the game my Mom kept saying, "Bess-bol been berry berry good to me," and I think she had drunk too many beers.

Last night I loved the crowd, with their catcalls and heckling in that good-natured baseball game way. "Eeeeeasy ouuuut!" someone from the bleachers called each time the Canadians' big man came up to bat. He was an easy out, too, which made it even funnier. There were two very sweet double plays made by the Em's, and two Em's players stole bases in impressive displays of base-running. For two innings the Em's had a side-arm pitcher, which I had never seen. He really packed it in there, hit the catcher's mitt so fast it made a hard CRACK!

Hey... What is it with baseball player butt? They all have that same butt that looks like they've been taking lessons on posture from J-Lo. Nice straight back and then poink! there's the butt. Center of gravity decidedly in the lower half of the body, except in the pitchers, who all carry themselves like dancers. I had a wonderful time.

We looked at the roster for the players, and S kept score throughout the game. I was appalled at how young the players all were; S poked my leg and jokingly said, "Yeah, you ol' lady." Most of the players were born in 1982 and 1983. Ten years' difference doesn't make me feel like an "ol lady" but it was the first time since turning the big three-oh that I've been reminded of my age. I stuck my tongue out at him and refused to act my age.

The seats were great; we could see everything, and we could smell the fresh-cut green baseball field grass, which mingled with the scent of roasted peanuts. We stomped with the crowd, and hooted and clapped and talked baseball talk and enjoyed the 75 degree evening. It felt like summertime.

The Em's won their game. S said, "Thanks for taking me to the ballgame," and kissed me under the stadium lights.