9.11.2003

Last night we went with R & Mme Stellar & her man to the Lava Lounge, which was very cool, not too loud, nice atmosphere, comfy clean silk-pillowed booths and good stiff drinks (although I stuck with red wine because I had to drive home, and get up today for work).

We teased R mercilessly about having to leave early for a moonlit hike with a "platonic" friend whose name she did not wish to reveal, and when she worried about what her long-distance lover might think about this moonlit rendez-vous we really made her laugh.

Star speculated that it might be good to have a long-distance thing because then you can get all your ya-ya's out of the way with local flings and when you've settled down then you'll have already ya-ya'd it up plenty and you'll have gotten all those ya-ya's out of your system. The opposite of a ya-ya is a nitty-gritty. As in the serious, getting-down-to kind of stuff.

Star had finished one drink that smelled like Irish cream and chocolate called an ecstasy when she talked so much about ya-ya's and nitty-gritty.

R blushed and that made us ya-ya it up even more.


Star is my friend and also my dance instructor, and I have taken two classes the past two days. My muscles are all pleasantly sore, my ankles, knees, hips, back and shoulders all feel nicely knit together again, and it worked out all the kinks, stretched, straightened, flexed. My jeans feel really baggy on me, my legs feel quick and light. I feel like I could swim five miles. I know I could climb a mountain... and sing, "Buffalo gals won't you come out tonight," while doing so. Roar.

The class the Shining One teaches that I usually attend on Tuesday is for her advanced students, and it's very fast-paced. Other dance instructors and a few serious performers are enrolled, and it takes much practice to keep up with everything we learn from our stellar teacher. The class on Wednesday is an intermediate course, and many of the moves she teaches us are the same, but she takes her time to break each move into incremental motions, such as when to pull the hips back, step back with one foot, swing the hips around and forward as the other foot comes around. Practice turns the move into a graceful swinging hip circle. Looks lovely with a big skirt that flares and a coy little smile.

So S & she & her honey & I all left about midnight, after a few more cocktails and her husband discovered that a long-lost college friend from Minne-snow-ta worked as a waiter. He brought us a sinful treat of fried bananas, coconut and chocolate ice cream, and slices of melons all topped with butter-rum syrup. I said it was a ya-ya if ever I saw one and Star said she's allowed that sort of ya-ya especially on her birthday.