4.03.2003

E. wore her red boots today. They are big shitkickers bright as a firetruck, pointy toe. Black dress, red Mexican scarf. She is a wild one. I want to swagger around and scratchy warble "Let's dance! Put on your red...BOOTS!" in my best David Bowie impersonation. But people here already think I am a freak and I don't want to encourage anyone's suspicions.

If I look into the next office I can see Lu upside-down through her fishbowl. She named her little Siamese fighting fish "Sushi".

Went to whorehouse Costco (I know, I know, fight the power and all that, but sheesh they have cheap stuff in bulk!) last night for business supplies, 8 gallons of milk, 4 containers of whipped cream etc. & ... I hate to think this. Normally I don't look at people & think, "Wow that guy has a big nose" unless we're talking Cyrano proportions. Judging people by how they look is bad bad bad. But last night in Costco there were so many ugly people I was dumbfounded and amazed. Squinty eyed, low-brow, no chin, lumpy, etc etc I saw it all. At first I thought it was all fine, tried to not seem shocked, kept myself from staring, but then I kept noticing more and more of the people looked like freaks out of Weekly World News or something. And then I thought, "I wonder what I look like right now?" What if it was this strange hall-of-mirrors thing going on, some weird inexplicable Costco carnival time warp? Wouldn't surprise me at all. Except S. looked normal.

S. had a good day yesterday tacking up fliers for our coffeehouse. Went downtown & ran into mysterious flamenco dancer Elena, whom he asked to come perform at our cafe in the future. Also went to the University & was surely mistaken for a professor with his Trotsky-esque glasses & short messy hair, nice pen in his pocket & rumpled shirt. I do love him. He said he felt nostalgic at first, first day back to school after spring break and all, but then after three kids held doors for him he felt old.

I comforted him & told him he's only as old as the woman he feels, as said Groucho Marx.

Marxism.
He is dead-on until he tries to apply it, and then it all goes to hell. Big government is bullshit. Only individuals can be free. Only individuals can be free to wear bright pointy toe RED boots. Yeah baby.