3.26.2003

[2/13/2003 9:28:11 PM ]
S persevered and we went out to dinner last night. I had been certain there was a frozen pizza with my name on it but I was wrong. There's a new Russain restaurant/shop in the little strip mall near Fred Meyers on West 11th. I don't recall the name, which is Russian, but the translation is "The Golden Rooster" according to our waiter.

We had Kvas malt non-beer, mushroom & potato blintzes, and S had these delicious pork dumpling things. Like pot stickers only bite-size. Kvas was interesting. Sort of like root beer but bitter. Among the ingredients listed it said "bread crumbs." It also said, "Product of Canada" which I read out loud when the waiter was coming to our table, and his eyebrows went up. I hope I didn't offend him. He said, "Yes, made in Canada. But the recipe is Russian."

He was flattered when I asked for a translation of the name of the restaurant, though. He gave me a piece of candy also called "The Golden Rooster"-- chocolate exterior with marshmallow and cherry inside.

S & I both wanted dessert, and discussed our desires; the waiter asked if he could bring us anything & S said, "Well, I want those chocolate covered potato pastries and she wants anchovies so we need to reach an agreement." Our waiter was surprised and tickled and laughed a short "Ha!" Now, I had seen in the front display they had smoked fish, and it looked quite tasty. No I am not pregnant, I just like fish. All kinds of fish, and I have never tried fish that looked like those, but they looked good and salty so I told S I wanted anchovies. He thought it was funny I wanted anchovies for dessert. I didn't mean for dessert, I meant with cheese and crackers and wine when we got home. We ended up with Taramosalata, which is Greek, yummy carp roe with lemon, MMMMmmm, excellent with sesame crackers, and also chocolate potato pastries.

So I guess we agreed to disagree, and both ended up happy.