10.18.2004

Winter is coming in, sing Goddamn, Goddamn, winter's a-bluster, a-murder, a-waiting. No asylum, no kindness in that creeping withering grey. A three note trainsong the engine and engine and another engine pulling miles of lumber, how many trees? How many trees in a mile?
But they grow amazing here and they undress their gold and scarlet robes in the cold. I forgot my hat. Oh yes, I remember sidewise rain and the wind came turring at my coat and hair. I walked with clocking heels the red and yellow carpet on top of a damp sidewalk through leaves blown swirling like red and yellow confetti. The colors shake with the wind and change nightly, the greater the difference in temperature between night and day, the more vibrant the colors. A hitch in my getalong across the train tracks, two shining steel ribbons and a million crushed red and yellow leaves. The sky is blue but not clear, the clouds are thick blue, not grey. Blue and dark, and out of the Northwest, out of Alaska. Sing Goddamn. Winter is a-comin'.


Ezra said it.

Winter is icummen in,
Lhude sing Goddamm,
Raineth drop and staineth slop,
And how the wind doth ramm,
Sing: Goddamm.
Skiddeth bus and sloppeth us,
An ague hath my ham.
Freezeth river, turneth liver,
Damn you, sing: Goddamm.
Goddamm, Goddamm, 'tis why I am,
Goddamm,
So 'gainst the winter's balm.
Sing goddamm, damm, sing
Goddamm,
Sing goddamm, sing goddamm, DAMM.