9.17.2004

Short notice time to reach and stretch, I was requested to dance tonight. A pair of black gauntlet gloves, a green and gold veil, beads and velvet and black eyeliner and lipstick and a slinky black skirt oh there I go dancing, the veil my partner. I know the music but it always changes, no routine, no choreography = dancewritten, open to interpretation, free to spin. I could count between the beats, seperate the time, break it into step combinations and smiles, but I'd rather not dissect it.

It is the same problem with poetry analysis; each word carries the weight of a multitude of meanings, each phrase pregnant with combinations, but as a whole the poem is more than the meaning of the words and phrases. Sectional interpretation sometimes fails to see the whole picture, a thing is more than the sum of its parts.


I had the most peaceful dream last night, in which I was swimming. As a child I think I spent more time in water than on ground. The dream was green, all shadows were green, the water was the green like clear high mountain lakes. Sunlight sparkled and made green burns on my retinas. Everything was warm and summery and breezy, every surface alabaster and smoothly reflective. I swam alone, underwater, a sweetness, and the sun above me cast my shadow on the bottom of the pool. The water was so clear and still I could see the shadows cast by ripples and bubbles caused by my motion.

That weightlessness, and the feeling of being held gently and completely, washed over me. I felt absolved, forgiven, alive. All was silent and bright. I awoke to the sound of the rain.

Dreams of flying sometimes scare me but I would stay underwater forever if I could.


Wish me luck tonight dancing with my green veil.