5.13.2004

A funny to share from last Saturday's dance class...

I take the ladies through a whole half-hour warmup, including push-ups, leg lifts, and sit-ups. After the sit-ups we were still flat on our backs, nobody could see anyone else without turning her head, & I wanted to add a new stretch that I have found good for belly dancing.

I told them, "Okay now, I want you to do something a little silly but I've found it useful. Stick your tummy out as far as it goes, then pull it in as hard as you can. Do that again. Tummy out, and then in. And relax. Now let's roll over onto our sides, and then onto our tummies..."

At that point one of the ladies next to me said, "Did you say tummy, or tongue?"

"I said tummy... why?"

"Oh, I was sticking my tongue in and out."

Which caused us all to giggle, and another girl across the room added, "Me too, I thought it was some yoga move to relax the throat or something."

Much laughter ensued, which was even better for the abdominals than my exercise of sticking tummies in and out.

And I will have to use "BELLY" from now on.

After all, it isn't tummy dancing.