5.06.2004

This week I have received some of the coolest emails ever from much loved people on great voyages. My girlfren (and that's how it's spelled) R is in Paris after tripping through Spain & Morocco, and she writes:

...I must say that despite the excitement of living in Paris I often miss home, and most of all friends. It is sort of hard to figure these city folks out. They seem to have a lot more masks than I am used to dealing with and just when I think I know and like someone they do something very wierd and city, and probably French, and offend or annoy me. Sigh... Paris is starting to lose its initial charm and I am feeling the itch to get out. Not sure what the next move will be. Home is on the list....and yes I still think of Oregon when I think of home... Bla bla.
Bla!
Well lets get down to what really matters!! Dancing of course! Dance life is very good for me these days. I am currently enjoying a breakthrough period and am dancing every day in my house, and just loving being in my body that does all this crazy stuff! I took a couple weeks off from classes which was just right, and just started playing with all the stuff I learned. I also found a great and very seedy Algerian club in a very seedy Arabic neighborhood that has live music, oud, drum, and violin, and open dancing all night. I dance my booty off there on weekends. I also have gone to a very chique and very spendy high-end Lebanese club several times. It is the opposite end of the spectrum. Very rich Gulf region oil mongers and high-end prostitutes with a fabulous Lebanese band. It starts at 2 in the morning and goes till 8 in the morning. Yet another booty shaking paradise. Dancing dancing dancing as always is the heart of my life and I can't get enough. Next project....Arabic. So, my dear. My time has run out. Love you!


And from my dance instructor, mentor, & friend in Cairo:

Hello hello!!! yes, still from Cairo...
This will be short today, but I just had to write you and hope that you can also pass some info on to others who've been wondering about my disappearance!
I have been working with one of the most famous choreographers here as a featured dancer in her next video, this project keeping me busy and learning soooooooo very much. Also, admittedly, I've been having a fabulously FUN time! I was planning to return in the next couple of months -- however I was just offered a contract that has been a dream of mine for years. This is working on a cruise ship sailing the Mediterranean Sea... going from Egypt to Lebanon to Turkey once each week. So, I am accepting the contract, but I may decide otherwise later. We will see... I really really really miss the husband! I miss you guys, my loyal students, too...thank you for all your support!
Life is constantly changing. Each day brings new ideas to my mind and new desires. I promise I WILL COME BACK but in the meantime Keep on shakin it girl!!!!!!


And here am I. At least I can live vicariously though the postcards and emails and especially the music. But it is the meantime, the mean time, the time between, base time, the forgotten time, no rhythm time, no inspiration time, the shakin it time, so I shake it shake it shake it. The Saturday morning dance class I teach helps with the determination, I have to be aware and alert, physically fit and crisp and clear in my motions, and I have to eliminate my bad habits because it's follow-the-leader-time and my motions are mirrored by nine other women. Hands waving everywhere.

I haven't forgotten what inspiration feels like. Oh no I haven't, and I've learned a lot. The learning and the rote are the hard parts, the repetition and the memory, the recitation. Not that I have dreams leaning towards the glamorous life, but I'm in no nightclubs, no cruise ships. I gave a lesson last night to a redhead who has terrible posture and is a little too loose and a brunette who has ridiculously rigid posture and is far too tight (maybe I have to get her drunk first) in a dimly lit garage. And restrained myself from bossiness and tried to have fun. I even told myself it was a lot of fun, and yes it was enjoyable to dance with other girls, but it was nothing exciting, nothing that stirred my heart.

So I'm shakin it and it'll come back around again. I know it will. Just like my traveller friends will return home.