8.27.2004

The horns of the night passed close, those ebony smooth and deadly horns buried and snagged and twisted themselves in the gauze of clouds. Thunder hungered in the mountains and flash floods ripped the bottom of the valley where the three big rivers meet and rush to the sea. The scent of earth and ozone. Doors and windows.

Teeth on edge and a crooked mask, what can you read beyond guesses? I see the thoughts and the wiles behind the smiles. I construct a parody and a mirror with seashells carved in the frame. They think a wicked won't, but it will. It is foggy but the sun is burning it away.

I sing riddles to me, wee disjointed tunes, halfway between breathing and whistling, and they most begin with someday and end with the end. He said he hears it in his thoughts and says it to himself sometimes, excellent, good, fair, poor.

There's no proof of living, it's all in the matter of degree.
Wait a moment and see. Drink lemongrass tea. You wrote all over me, but I'll consider it. Contempt is self-reflexive, like boredom.

Please condescend to pick the flowers.


I'm dancing tonight in a dimly lit cafe. The band will play their original compositions Desert Waltz and Ginger Tea for me. Last night I checked the straps and buckles and seams of my costume, a dark jade velvet number covered with gold and iridescent green beads, it accentuates my hips and bust, va va voom. The skirt is decidedly slinky, mermaid cut, black shiny stretch material that tucks in tight at the knees and the flares out around the ankles.
I've been thinking of step combinations and possible motions, working on timing.

Dancing with live music is a joyful experience, and is the true test of practice. Unlike choreography, which has its own virtues but is strict interaction between audience and performer, live impromptu throws a wild element into play. Musicians, even playing songs they've played a hundred times, are unpredictable. It is my job to catch and embody the drum beats, the flute flourish, the rolling sweetness of the oud and the harmonium. It is a challenge, and I respond with my flesh, a turn here, a shimmy there, a rocking step followed by a hip drop. I hear and obey, and toss the challenge back out to the audience, look at the music.

Wish me luck.