12.02.2003

S went to work for a phone call center selling overpriced plastic grasshoppers and bees and $40 a pound cheese and $15 (each) cookies. He hates it and it took him an hour, a bowlful, a dinner, and a glass of wine to unwind last night, and this is just the training session.

He said the company makes no pretenses of being a civilized place to work; it is a sweatshop, essentially, a hundred rules and regulations and keep your headset on and you must be seated within a minute of when your shift starts, not too early, not too late.

Oh, he hates it. Let’s take a wild and wooley outside beastie and strap him into a chair in a fluorescent-lit cubicle with a toothless harpy screeching about the justification “some people” who live a “fast-paced lifestyle” find for spending $80 for four pears and two apples and some ribbons, and that doesn’t include the shipping costs.

At least it’s only for 3 weeks, unless he gets dismissed because he’s late, or if he doesn’t make his sales percentage, or if he fails to offer the “special” when his supervisor is listening in on his phone call, or if he takes too long to close a sale, or if he forgets to notify someone he’s going to the bathroom, or if he takes too long in the bathroom. He said he’s tempted to take a nasty-looking half-melted chocolate bar with nuts in it, unwrap it, and leave it on the seat at the end of the day. And leave unionizing literature in the lunchroom. I finally raised a smile by calling him a saboteur and an infiltrator. He said the only redeeming quality is that my beautiful dance instructor works there also, and she gave him a big smile and a hug yesterday when they saw each other in the hallway.

Speaking of dance, tonight is rehearsal, class, and practice. It is dance day, hooray. Our performance is set for December 13 and I’m expected to do a solo in addition to the group choreography and the trio with R & Jesi… I haven’t thought about a solo at all.

R called me last night as she was walking home at 9:30. I was already in bed because I was exhausted & enjoyed chatting with her from under the blankets in the dark. She told me don’t worry, relax, told me to dance to a song I know well, and leave them wanting more. Sounds fine to me.

She also told me S & I have to move farther north because she is moving north, and she wants to live near us. She’s considering Alaska, or maybe British Columbia. She wants something wilder. But first she’s going to travel to Spain and Morocco and possibly visit her relatives in Argentina again. She’s a curious girl.

We shall see.