11.26.2003

I had four bawdy bellydancers in my living room last night after class. We're working on a big group choreography and I'm the only one with enough floor space in my house to fit five swirly girlies for practice in formation.

We shimmied our shoulders until we were numb. Here's the thing about a shoulder shimmy: the shoulders move front to back alternately, and the rest of it all goes along for the ride. It's a structural thing-- you can't shake the breasts unless you move the shoulders.

Practice was very helpful and instructive; we each took a turn sitting out to watch the rest of the troupe swing and turn in a primal rhythm blended of swaying arms and lifted energy, grounded and centered by the tall wild redhead in the middle, flanked by four blonds. And yes we're all damn sexy. We're all goofy, too. A group of people who are highly body-aware, and relate to each other in terms of body movement, often tend to find comedy in the physical sense. This is not to say we don't all appreciate funny commentary or quick wit, but mockingly groping oneself or the comedic positioning of one's hands is cause for great belly laughter. With a few belly-button jewels and some barb-wire tattoos jiggling.

Between my early-evening rehearsal with R and Jesi, dance class, and then choreography practice, I must have danced a total of five hours last night. I can feel it in my thighs. And I have that song in my head I won't even attempt to sing or hum, it's too intricate and I just thank goodness it's a decent song. I catch myself doing shoulder-shimmies at my desk but everyone here thinks I'm eccentric already, and I just saw my name listed as instructor for beginning bellydancing at the community college so I feel like shimmying. Watch it or I'll hip-check you into the water-cooler.

S and I are headed south for the holiday; we have an eleven hour drive ahead of us. I hope the pass through the mountains is open, and I'm actually looking forward to this trip.

Remember to love one another. Give thanks for the simple things, like love and food and shelter. And shoulder shimmies.