12.22.2005

Didn’t nobody sleep last night, somebody took a shower at three, the floorboards creaking and toilet flushing and dogs and cats making dog and cat noises and rain pouring and people snoring and train whistling and plus I should not have consumed wine then gin & tonic then wine again then whiskey.

I’m happy to see my folks; their long drive was uneventful and they both seem relaxed and happy with their retirement. Many hugs and lots of laughing and silliness. S had prepared a feast of smoked pork tenderloin wrapped in proscuitto and apple slices, baked potato wedges, and a salad.

After dinner Mom and I did dishes with silly hip-bump dancing in the kitchen and then we danced arms wrapped around each other in the front room. Our knees bend at exactly the same time, our concept of rhythm identical. Our extended bobbing giggling hugging shuffle was the height of elation for me, brought back memories of dancing with her as a little girl. The long hallway in their house where I grew up was always reason enough to lock arms in mock tango and charge galumphing gallop-skipping together.

They were still asleep when I left for work this morning but I get to leave at noon. I’ll have them all to myself, too, because S has gone for the day and will return late tonight. S went crabbing with B, but first they’ll go marauding, searching for treasures, and it’s been awhile since they’ve seen each other so the problems of the world will be solved all over again. I hope they have good luck catching crabs. The weather on the coast promises to be balmy and blustery, high tide an hour before sunset.

My Mom asks What shall we do next? She demands Take me to see the waterfalls. She declares Let’s go shopping! She asks Why don’t we go for a W-A-L-K and then laughs because the dogs know how to spell that word. She asks What shall we do for dinner?

Dad is constantly amused by Mom's sassiness. He had laser surgery on his eyes and can see without glasses and I like to see his face. All his wrinkles go up, from smiling, and now we can all see that twinkle in his eye. Last night he made a toast and said in his okay-I'm-serious-you-guys tone, which always contains an underlying suppressed laugh, May our tribe increase! Yes Dad, we’ve been thinking and talking about it. I didn't mean to blush.

This is a good day despite the hangover & lack of sleep.