2.05.2004

I am having no patience today.

Generally I pride myself on having patience & respect & all the things that go along with answering questions on the phone. Perhaps it was because yesterday turned out so lousy for so many people I care about. Maybe it was seeing the full moon exactly opposite Venus last night and wanting to reach out & touch them both. Possibly it's because I awoke at one in the morning with my husband snoring & shifting in his sleep pressed against and jostling my back & my cat curled against my bare stomach, her fur prickly against my sweaty skin, the stuff of nightmares.

Regardless, I am feeling both out of sorts & unwilling to grant patience to imbeciles who call with questions and then don't shut the fuck up they just keep talking they ask the question about five different ways and I understood it the first time but then they say the same thing they said a different way and maybe it's just because there's a vaccuum created by too much television and talking on cellular phones in their brains but I wish they'd quit yammering so I could answer, Mr. I'm-in-love-with-my-own-voice, Ms. Your-procedures-must-be-different-than-other-counties, Mrs. I-really-don't-think,-I-really-don't-think-that's-right, Mr. Blah-blah-blah-blah-blah, just pose your question and then SHUT UP so I can respond.

I have no patience today for folks calling and talking themselves around to their own answers, which should have been plain-as-day, and had they stopped to THINK they wouldn't have had to call me and babble at me. Because frankly, it is a waste of my time, this ridiculous verbal hand-holding.

And when I say, "Please hold, I need to go get the file," that is the clue that I need more information before I can answer a question, so SHUT UP already. This morning alone I have cut three people off with the hold button, after informing them (politely-- I may be grinding my teeth but I am always polite. I'll even tell you kindly if I'm going to disconnect your call because you're being unprofessional or disrespectful) I needed to put them on hold, and they just keep talking.

The jackass in Shrek has nothing on these people, including one loud-mouth attorney who told me all about the refinance and the debt incurred and the second mortgage, like I care, but I couldn't interrupt, he was on a roll, and talked right over me for five minutes-- five freaking minutes, I looked at the timer on my phone's display-- although if he had just SHUT UP for a moment I would have been able to direct him to the person (ahem) who had written the letter (ahem) to which he was responding, so he didn't have to say it all twice. Dumbass.

While writing this I've answered five calls. They seem to be getting better. Or maybe the callers are just detecting that nearly psychotic too-nice edge in my voice.


Other than wanting to throw the phone out the window I'm having a great day.